Sunday, October 2, 2011

Rest-it's good for the mind, body and spirit!

So here's the BIG question-When was the last time you felt rested? I mean so rested that you woke up before the alarm went off and leaped to your feet in glorious song as you danced merrily toward the bathroom only to notice that those bags under your eyes are finally gone......beep-beep-beep. I interrupt this message with what we all MOMS know to be true--there are never enough minutes in the hours of the day to accomplish all we want too. Phew!

Fox news recently did an article on why Americans aren't sleeping. Article Link Here. This article stated that dependence on cell phones, laptop computer, and video games were contributing to our inability to sleep well. Children are falling asleep in class, and in general we're all irritable.

I recently had coffee with a friend about, "Taking back the Sabbath." Boy, now there's a great idea. Then, I came across and article from Christianity Today, that stated, "Conversely, a spiritual discipline of regular rest from the constant drive to check items off a to-do list can be a powerful symbol of our trust in God's sufficiency." Whoa nellie back that wagon up...Could we be missing it? Choosing to rest means we have to give up control and truly trust God.

And for this control-stricken girl, that can be a little hard to do. I've decided that Sunday's should be given back to God. It's not a ME day, it's a GOD day. It should be a time that we try and take the effort to rest, rest in his glorious ways, rest in his ever abundant grace, rest in his wonderful mercies and r-e-s-t!

I'm reading a book by Joseph Prince, 100 Days of Favor which begins with a word about meditation. Meditating on God's word, uttering the words, gives us comfort and peace, and rest! There was a very big reason for God to point out in Genesis 2:2, "By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he RESTED from all his work." "And God blessed the seventh day and made it Holy." (NIV) Wait...God said it was o.k. to rest on Sunday! I don't know about you, but when God is trying to tell me something, this control-stricken girl knows when to listen...God's given permission for me to REST! Whoooppeee! This busy mom, wife, chauffeur,cook, friend, and college student, stands up and says (in my best southern-baptist swagger) Thank you, Jesus!

Could we honestly say that we have kept the Sabbath holy? Have we rested fully and relinquished control from all that burdens us? Today, choose to be refreshed and renewed by His loving mercy and grace, lay down what troubles you at the foot of the cross and REST.

Challenge yourself to slow down. Turn off the t.v. (I know it's football season), turn off the computer (I know I'm blogging) and walk around the block (I did and it felt great) and R-E-S-T. Enjoy a day of peaceful reflection and refreshment. Laugh a little louder, smile a little more, and pray a little longer.

R-E-S-T...Breathe in the fullness of God's wonderful love for us.

BTW-I sat and watched 2 wifetime (that's what my husband calls it) movies on the couch with my feet up and I'm not the least bit sorry that I did. Let's just say someone who shall remain nameless (hubby) was busy with his own RESTING...on the bed watching some foooootball. Ahhh rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment