Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Are you trying to be blessed or be a blessing?

Have you ever thought about whether or not you are just going through the motions as a christian? Are you checking off your list of "to do's" for God so that he will continue to bless your life? Have you ever wondered if this is all there is?

We can all read and follow the word of God. What really has to happen is we have to put our transformation into practice. We can all be willing to follow God but to truly exemplify God we must be willing to wash the servants feet. Putting service into practice takes more that just a reading your daily bible study devotional.

I believe what happens is we think in terms of what we can't do for someone. "I don't have enough money." "I don't have the time." "I'm barely keeping up with my own life, how can I commit to something more." "I don't want to embarrass them."

We should be thinking in terms of what we CAN do. I've often wondered why I think I have to always go overboard when helping someone. I think that is what deters me most. I think in "over the top" mentality and not "small" enough. We need to remember that God made such a huge impact with only water. It was the act of service that the disciples saw that was important. He wanted them to realize that to truly represent the Father we must be willing to serve others.

We can make a phone call, send an encouraging note, prepare an unexpected dessert for someone, offer to take their kids for an afternoon, it can be as small as a hug or a listening ear.

God says in his word in James 2:26 Just as the body is dead without breath,so also faith is dead without good works. (NLV) What does your faith say about you? Jesus clearly spoke that to serve Him and to honor Him was to serve others.

We just can't be someone who merely proclaims the gospel. We need to be one who becomes broken bread and poured-out wine in the hands of Jesus Christ for the sake of others. (I just love this analogy, it wrenches my heart.)

Try focusing on being a blessing, towards your children, spouse, family and friends. God will be honored by your efforts and in turn you will be blessed.

There is a song by John Walker called 'Blessing for Life.' the lyrics are awesome...

Here's a link to the video

Let it be said of us
While we walked among the living.
Let it be said of us
By the ones we leave behind.
Let it be said of us
That we lived to be a blessing for life.

Let it be said of us
That we gave to reach the dying.
Let it be said of us
By the fruit we leave behind.
Let it be said of us
That our legacy is blessing for life.

This day
You set life, you set death right before us,
This day
Every blessing and curse is a choice now,
And we will choose to be a blessing for life.

Let it be said of us
That our hearts belonged to Jesus. Let it be said of us
That we spoke the words of life.
Let it be said of us
That our heritage is blessing for life.


Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment