Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday's Gossip

Today's devotional was all about words. How many times has your words gotten you into T-R-O-U-B-L-E? Mine have and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. I've only recently come to fully accept my gift to gab as a blessing.

Short Story: There was a time when I opened my mouth and really hurt someone that I worked with. I happen to tell another co-worker a "rumor" that most everyone in the office knew about but never talked about. When this person asked me why we would ask another co-worker (I'm trying to protect the innocent here with no names) about where the other person would be evacuating during a hurricane I stated that "didn't you know, they had a thing going back in the day and her little girl looks a lot like him.". Little did I know that the person I told would run (no kidding here) straight to this person and tell what I said. A weekend passed. Monday morning as we were both dropping our babies off at the daycare, she confronted me by my car. Fortunately she was a Christian and confronted me appropriately. I felt horrible. I owned up to it, felt bad about it and asked her forgiveness. I also went to the other person affected and apologized as well. What I learned from this was that my words can have far reaching effects.

I had also been listening to Joyce Meyer teachings at the time and remember a discussion she had about the mouth. Boy, did it hit home with me. I really felt convicted to watch my words, be careful to speak and to make sure it was the truth. My words need to build people up, not tear them down. Speaking the truth, confronting other believers in love and remembering to use my words positively are all lessons I need to keep reminding myself to live by. Gossip is a horrible tool that I believe the evil one uses to his advantage. Don't let him. Let the Holy Spirit guide your words instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment