Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Day 4- 31 Days to Health - Body and Discipline
Yep, the cold hard truth! KAaaa-Powwww! So, no one likes to admit it but the true reality of it is that we are ALL getting older. Did you know that your body was made to move? It really wasn't meant for sitting, slouching, or being still (except when you recharge by sleeping). Keeping fit is a life long journey. Even though I think my husband looks great for his age and works out regularly, and eats healthy, his dr. recently said he could still see more health benefits if he lost another 15lbs. 15LBS! He has genetically high cholesterol and has to take a pill everyday.
If we were to be really honest with ourselves, we could admit that we too probably could stand to lose a few pounds. I've been on a running schedule lately to get back in shape for an upcoming fit test. Whoa baby! These extra pounds I'm carrying around really make a difference, and MY knees feel it! In essence, it is all about discipline. Because I haven't disciplined myself in my eating habits and my exercise habits, I'm seeing the effects now.
How do you stay fit? Are you even attempting to stay fit? Do you blame your schedule? We all know that if something is important to us, we WILL make the time. Investing in your health, pays BIG dividends. Here are a few ways you can incorporate more movement in your schedule.
1. Park a little further out from the front door of your favorite market and walk.
2. Set your alarm for 15min earlier--do a warm-up of stretches,
flexes, sit-ups and push-ups. Having flexibility will help as you begin to exercise more.
3. Get outside with the kids and hoo-la-hoop or toss the pigskin around.
4. Get your bike out of the garage, dust it off and hop on for 20 min. (This means get on and ride...don't just sit on it for 20 mins...lol)
5. Be Intentional when you do any activity. Don't just go through the motions of sweeping the floor, look at every opportunity to work a little faster,(squeeze those buttocks) harder and your heart will thank you.
6. Add a few large muscle moves when your walking around the block. Try walking lunges, side-stepping, figure-eights, high-knees, and invisible jump rope.
7. Pack a light picnic to the park. Take a Frisbee or mitt and ball, or just play on the playground with the kids. Up and down the stairs, slides and swings, all get your heart moving.
8. Join a GYM, if you can. When you are paying a monthly fee--you're more likely to go more often. Check with your insurance...they may offer a free membership!
9. Pick a project that needs attention around the house, cleaning out the garage, or weeding the flower beds can burn lots of calories.
10. Don't forget to BREATHE! It isn't about how much time you spend on each activity. It ALL adds up to good health. Even if you only have 15 minutes here and there...find a way to MOVE!
DISCIPLINE! There is no way up, down, around, under or over; there is only through it! Toughest to get, harder to maintain. However, we don't have to do it ourselves!
Joseph had been uprooted and sold into slavery; having nothing with him, "And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian." (Genesis 39:2) We can be prosperous in ALL things too! Joseph went on to become a prominent member of the Kings court. We can't do this on our own; trusting God to go before us, and leaning on His everlasting strength will lead us to JOY!
Today, are you putting your health at the top of your 'to-do' list? Do you find yourself run down and with less energy? Do you wish you could drop a dress size? It all comes down to discipline. I'm interested to know how YOU fit in exercise and healthy eating into your schedules. Let's encourage each other to do MORE and start MOVING!
Ohhhh---Stop by and vist the other 31 Dayer's and all the neat and inspirational ideas!